Thursday, February 24, 2011

Diet? Nutrition? Featured on The Athlete's Plate!

Share

I'm #5 in front.  Coach Belt is off on the right
he was also the school's x-country coach
and always tried to get me to run on the team.
It was during soccer so not going to happen. Plus
I always complained about running in high school.
10 years later my dad saw him in town and told him
I was running a marathon in a few weeks.  My dad
said he almost fell over.  HA!  I would have
liked to see that.  Coach Belt was awesome.
I've always been "a jock" and loved sports and such.   In high school my favorite sport was basketball.  I have great friends and fond memories of ruling the halls of Orem High school, flipping a coin to decide if we would make it to class or if we should "rebel" and hit the local gas station for a giant sized Mountain Dew instead.  Often if the results weren't in our favor it would turn into one of those coin tosses where you say "two out of three", "three out of five" and on and on until you get the desired result.  We'd jump into the old beater car and we were off.  44oz Mountain Dew and maybe a bag of cheetos for lunch, sounds good to me.  After the last school bell rang around 3:30 pm it was off to the designated practice depending on what season it was (Soccer, basketball or softball).  Several hours of running, jumping, shooting, kicking and hitting later it was home for quick shower, an attempt of homework, scarf down whatever mom had saved from dinner for you and off to pass out on the bed.  The next morning, wake up usually at the last possible second so you didn't have any time for  breakfast and repeat the previous days activities.  In my four years of High school I did not eat in the school cafeteria 1 time, zero, zilch, nada.
Mmmmm, Mt. Dew.
Lunch of champions.
 Despite my frequent "coin tosses" and class ditching in high school  I managed to pull decent grades and it was off to college.  My college days were busy like most college students I suppose.  18 credit hours of classes per semester while working part time and trying to date as many players from the football and baseball teams as humanely possible. This did not leave a lot of time for "cooking".  Most days would involve me grabbing a bagel and my book bag and I was out the door not likely to return until late that evening where I again reverted back to the high school habit of "quick shower, shove some random food in, attempt some homework and pass out on the bed".  I remember one day in particular that I was standing in the hall waiting to go into class and became somewhat light headed, I leaned against the wall and next thing I remember is waking up with a bunch of people looking over me.  Apparently I passed out and slid down the wall.  My professor happened to be among the witnesses and took it upon himself to bring me a cup of soup every day for class (not in a creepy way but in a really kind grandfatherly way--seriously so nice).  He also "lectured" me on the importance of eating.  Food=No passing out and living.  No food=passing out and Death.  Okay that was a little dramatic, it didn't really go down like that.
I want to add a note of caution here.  I did not have a eating disorder by any stretch I was just a lazy, busy student so I don't want you to get the wrong idea. I eat....BELIEVE THAT....plenty but not very nutritiously.
Fast forward to marriage, kids and now I'm in this role of "mother" and "stay at home mom", "homemaker" and it falls upon me to keep these people fed.  Ughhh.  I love reading some of your blogs like Cotter's Crunch, The Hungry Runner and of course Athlete's Plate who all offer these amazing nutritious recipes that sound so delicious but at the same time as I am reading these my eyes start to glaze over and I go into a catatonic state thinking "that just sounds exhausting" and they do these productions every day?  Wow.  I'm impressed.  Really I am.  Cooking is not my happy place and unfortunately it isn't Travis's happy place either.  If he comes home from work and their isn't anything on the table he looks at me and says "So are we eating out?" To which I reply "YouBETCHA!" and we're off.  Luckily he is a mellow husband and contrary to what people think about stay at home moms he doesn't expect me to be barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen at all times.  On the contrary I'm usually wearing shoes and I'm at the mall.  I like to eat yummy food just not make it all the time.
So Anyway, to make a long story longer.  I was reading Sean's blog over at In Clean Air--A running philosophy and he had just been featured on The Athlete's Plate.  If you don't read Sean's blog you really should.  He is like that "voice of reason" that God forgot to give me.  Just cool, calm and collected.  His posts area always positive, uplifting and motivating and I was nominated by him for
How perfect is this?  Talk about someone who needs serious help in the menu department.  One of my MAJOR goals this year is to try to eat healthier in order to have more energy and lose about 10 pounds.  I'm within the "normal" weight range for my height but we all know how those weight ranges work.  There is a range of about 20 lbs and right now I'm closer to the high part and would rather be closer to the low part.  Plus I think if I can lose the weight it could help me get faster and eating better will help me have more energy.  To see what the Amazing Jason came up with for Yours Truly Click HERE for all the recipes.
Thank you so much for Jason for creating these wonderful dishes for me. 
 I really appreciate it.
Thank you to Sean for nominating me.

Is your eating as jacked up as mine?
Are you looking for some healthier food choices?
Do you need to change your eating habits in order to reach your goals?
Does the inside of your refrigerator look as boring as this?
It's not that it is all that bad it's just not that exciting.  You have your veggie drawer, fruit drawer, yogurt shelf, milk, ravioli, assorted processed cheeses with the staples of Diet Coke and Diet Mt. Dew and every condiment you can think of in the side door.
Then do I have a deal for you!  Leave me a comment letting me know if you would like to appear on  the Athlete's Plate and I will choose a winner on Sunday night.  If you have already been featured on The Athlete's Plate let me know as well as I would love to see what dishes Jason came up with for you. 

(Sneak Peak)
Reece's Raspberry Pancakes

Hopefully these dishes will help kick start me to being a healthier eater, better homemaker and faster runner!
Happy Running,
Adrienne

13 comments:

  1. It was a pleasure to do this for you and I hope that it does jump-start a passion that has been hidden inside of you. Cooking for me is liberating and allows me to be creative. Besides if the meal is horrible you can still go out to eat.

    I am going to tweet your blog now so that we can generate some interest in your story and see what other people have to say about their eating habits and the help they need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for healthier food choices and good things that don't take too long to make...the less time spent in the kitchen with 3 boys running around, the less crayon on walls and boys jumping off tables!! I'm headed over to check out the Athlete's Plate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason's menu for you.

    completely
    rocks.

    Has Eva been to your house or holy freaking cow......is your fridge always that clean?

    seriously?
    with a husband even?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think when I was in college I lived an entire semester on peanut m&ms and McDonald's - definitely not a healthy diet. I love, love, love the Athlete's Plate and have made some of his recipes. I will definitely be checking out yours. I know how much better I feel and how much more energy I have when I eat healthy and I go through periods where I do very well, but then it seems like I suddenly just don't have the time to cook or put together something healthy and that's when the fast food creeps in - and that usually leads to a week or two of terrible eating and then I get mad at myself. It's a bad cycle. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post ... I love old high school team pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I think my eating is about as bad as you would expect it to be. Eating a girl scout cookie as we speak!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool to be featured! And I second the motion on the clean fridge!
    I come from a long line of crappy cooks so I took it upon myself to learn how to do it. Its a creative outlet for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The raspberry pancakes look AMAZING! It is Saturday morning, and I am pregnant and hungry. If I get in the car right now, we could have them at bedtime! ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! I'm so glad I read this. I struggle with cooking...don't like it. I can cook. I just don't enjoy it . at all. It is a chore really. I do okay at eating healthy but my meals for my family are sooooo boring. Thank you for sharing such useful things. I am especially happy to find the new blog that you linked! He looks awesome. Thanks. So well worth the read.

    and thank you so very much for your genuine and sweet comments on my posts this morning. Made my morning and really meant a lot! Happy Sunday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You went to Orem h.s.? Me too! Go Golden Tigers!

    The best $150 I ever spent in my life was visiting a Nutrionist about five years ago. Changed my life forever. I have pretty darn good eating habbits if I do say so myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't cook anything but grilled chicken, steamed broccoli and brown rice, which is awesomely good for you, but everday for the past two years, not so much! I just subscribed to Cooking Light so I hope I'm inspired to make something different.

    I'd rather be wearing shoes and at the mall, too :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Soccer?!?! Are you nuts, you know how much metric that has in it?

    Pancakes sound good!

    ReplyDelete